Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pay the laughter forward


They tell you that one of the best things about having children is getting to relive your own childhood. You get a front row seat to watch your amazing little one make many of the discoveries you made as a kid and ones you could have only dreamed about. (Facetime is about as close to the Jetsons as I'm ever bound to get, and it's just a part of everyday life for my son. Weird, right?)

On the weekends, I will sometimes treat Henry to a movie or longer show as we wind down toward bedtime. Tonight I chose a show that I've been wanting to share with him for a long time, and has been in the forefront of my thoughts for the last few weeks. The choice of a non-cartoon was met with resistance at first, but once he started watching, the giggles tumbled out, followed by almost immediate impersonation.

"I like Laverne best!"

"He has funny jokes, Mommy!"

"Watch, I can do that!"
And Henry promptly sat on his head.



The style of sitcom may be dated, but Mork's humor and quirks are intrinsically part of my own sense of humor, and I am rather proud of that. As a toddler, I would sneak back into the living room to watch "Nanu Nanu" with my parents and my mom bought me the first season on DVD when they came out many years ago.

I know there has been a lot written about the passing of Robin Williams. By all accounts, a talented and generous man. I didn't know him, but I know he's been making me laugh since I was very young. And laughter is one of those things we shouldn't take for granted.

While I watched Henry enjoy his new comedic discovery, I realized how grateful I am to be able to share these laughs that are 35 years old. Though there won't be any new Robin Williams material, it is a joy to pay the laughter forward with this new audience.

Nanu, Nanu!



No comments:

Post a Comment